Frequently asked questions

What is Charter Hall?

Charter Hall is a leading fully integrated property investment and funds management group. Our expertise allows us to access, deploy, manage, and invest equity across core real estate sectors, including Industrial & Logistics, Office, Retail, and Social Infrastructure. Find out more about us here.

What does Charter Hall do?

We use our property expertise to create value and generate superior returns for our customers. We access equity from a variety of investors, deploy capital strategically, actively manage funds and assets, and align our interests by investing alongside our partners for mutual success. Learn more about our strategy, sectors and capabilities here

What are Charter Hall's core sectors?

We specialise in resilient investments across core sectors: Industrial & Logistics, Office, Retail, and Social Infrastructure. Our integrated approach as both investor and manager allows us to create long-term value and tailored solutions.

How do I access Charter Hall's Annual Report?

You can access Charter Hall Group's Annual Report by visiting the Results and Presentations page here. Scroll down to the "Annual Report" tab and download report. Historical reports can be found half way down the page. 

If you are looking for an Annual Report for one of our other listed funds (CLW, CQR or CQE), navigate to the relevant fund via the Investor centre tab at the top of the page.

Who's in Charter Hall's leadership team?

Meet the key decision-makers shaping Charter Hall's future. Our Executives apply an integrated understanding and inventive spirit to connect people, capital and opportunities. 

  • David Harrison - Managing Director and Group CEO
  • Anastasia Clarke -  Chief Financial Officer
  • Sean McMahon - Chief Investment Officer
  • Natalie Devlin - Chief Experience Officer
  • Carmel Hourigan - Office CEO
  • Richard Stacker - Industrial & Logistics CEO
  • Ben Ellis - Retail CEO
  • Steven Bennett - Direct CEO

Learn more about each member from our leadership team

Who are Charter Hall's Board of Directors?

Providing knowledge, guidance and support to achieve our aspirations are our Board of Directors. 

  • David Clarke - Chair and Independent Non-Executive Director
  • Jacqueline Chow - Chair and Independent Non-Executive Director
  • Stephen Conry AM - Chair and Independent Non-Executive Director
  • David Harrison - Managing Director & Group CEO
  • Karen Moses - Chair and Independent Non-Executive Director
  • Greg Paramor, AO - Chair and Independent Non-Executive Director
  • David Ross - Chair and Independent Non-Executive Director

Learn more about each member from our Board of Directors

What is Charter Hall's approach to sustainability?

We focus our efforts on where we can have the greatest impact and influence – building capability through meaningful climate action; partnering to provide enduring support for vulnerable youth and communities; and sharing economic prosperity and sustainable growth for mutual success. 

This approach, underpinned by our sustainability pillars and aligned with UN SDGs, reinforces our commitment to responsible and ethical business practices, creating enduring value for stakeholders. Learn more about our sustainability approach here.

Where can I find the latest ASX releases?

ASX releases can be found here.

Where can I find the latest Charter Hall news?

News and insights can be found here.

How can I lease a property with Charter Hall?

We know the importance of choosing the right property in enabling your business to thrive. We own and manage quality properties across Australia, each chosen for its potential to build value and create positive outcomes. 

  • If you're looking for Industrial & Logistics space visit here
  • If you're looking for Office space visit here
  • If you're looking for Retail space visit here

How can I invest with Charter Hall?

We manage a range of funds that provide exposure to quality commercial properties in our core sectors. Visit our Investment Guide to understand more about our investment options.

What's the minimum investment amount for Charter Hall funds?

The minimum investment amount for Charter Hall funds  vary depending on the specific fund. Visit our Investment Guide to learn more. 

How do you ensure the safety and security of my data?

Every day we work with personal information about our investors, our customers, our people, and other stakeholders. Our business depends on building and maintaining their trust.

We recognise that your confidentiality and security needs to be protected, which is why we take our obligations under the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) seriously. 

This Privacy Policy explains how we handle the personal information we collect. It sits alongside our Terms of Use and any other terms and conditions that apply to products and/or services we provide.  To learn more, read our privacy policy here

What is commercial property investment?

Direct funds or listed real estate investment trusts (REITs) often provide access to high quality commercial properties in diversified portfolios. You can invest as an individual, through a self-managed super fund (SMSF) or through other entities such as companies or trusts.

What are the common commercial property types?

  1. Office: Office property can include anything from one or two-storey blocks to iconic CBD towers. Tenants may be private businesses or government agencies.
  2. Industrial: We use the term ‘industrial’ to cover warehouses, manufacturing plants and logistics facilities. Distribution centres have become popular with the rise of e-commerce websites creating greater demand for storage and freight.
  3. Retail: Retail property is some of the most recognisable commercial property. It includes bricks and mortar stores, shopping centres and retail centres like Bunnings. 
  4. Social infrastructure: Much of our social infrastructure is privately owned and make for potential investment opportunities. Early learning centres and healthcare assets are two examples.

What are the risks and rewards of commercial property investment?

Commercial property investment can be a rewarding way to build wealth, but it is important to be aware of the risks involved. Some of the potential risks include:

  • Economic downturns
  • Rising interest rates
  • Vacancy rates
  • Tenant defaults
  • Environmental hazards

What are the benefits of investing in a commercial property investment fund?

  • Diversification: Commercial property investment funds typically invest in a variety of different commercial properties, which can help to reduce your risk.
  • Professional management: Commercial property investment funds are managed by experienced professionals who have the expertise and resources to select and manage a portfolio of commercial properties.
  • Lower investment minimums: Commercial property investment funds typically have lower investment minimums than direct investment in commercial property, making them more accessible to new investors.

How do I choose the right commercial property investment fund for me?

When choosing a commercial property investment fund, there are a few factors you should consider, including:

  • The fund's investment strategy
  • The fund's track record
  • The fund's fees and expenses
  • The fund's liquidity
  • Your own investment goals and risk tolerance

Who do I speak to about my investment in the fund?

You may speak to your financial adviser, other professional adviser, our registry Boardroom and/or Charter Hall.

Alternatively you can log on to Charter Hall InvestorServe or contact our registry on 1300 137 895 for account or administrative issues including:

  • Account balances
  • Taxation, Distribution, transaction and other statements
  • Processing of your application
  • Changing your address, bank account details or name
  • Recording your tax file number  
  • Checking your holding balance and unit price
  • Other administrative matters

 You can also call the unit registry for assistance with logging into InvestorServe on 1300 137 895.

What is the value of my investment?

The value of your investment can be calculated by multiplying the number of units you hold by the fund’s current unit price. You can find the number of units you hold on your distribution or transaction statement and the latest unit price can be found on the investor centre page for the relevant fund.

Alternatively, you can log on to Charter Hall InvestorServe or contact our registry. Please ensure you have your investor number when requesting this information.

When will I receive my annual taxation statement?

Annual taxation statements are mailed to investors in July/August for each separate investment held. The annual taxation statement shows the taxation components of the distribution payments made throughout the year. Investors should wait to receive this statement before lodging their tax return. Please contact your tax adviser should you have any questions on the information contained within the taxation statement.

How do I update my personal details?

To notify a change of your details, please log on to Charter Hall InvestorServe. Alternatively, please advise our registry in writing using the relevant form based on your circumstances. Registry forms are available for download on the Documents & Forms page.

Please note the important requirements you should attach to your completed change of details form, as appropriate:

Change of name by marriage:

  • original certified copy of the marriage certificate
  • letter of request with current and new signature

Change of name by divorce: 

  • original certified copy of your marriage, birth certificate or any other legally recognised document to confirm your maiden name
  • letter of request with current and new signature 

Change of name by deed poll: 

  • original certified copy of the deed poll confirming your signature
  • letter of request with current and new signature

Change of company name: 

  • original certified copy of the certificate of incorporation reflecting the change in the name of the company 
  • letter of request signed by the relevant parties
  • new signature or Power Of Attorney list

Forms are to be returned to:

Boardroom Pty Limited 

GPO Box 3993

Sydney NSW 2001

Phone: 1300 137 895

Can I transfer my holding to another entity or person?

Yes, a transfer takes place when you decide to sell all or part of your investment to another person or entity. 

A transfer is a change of ownership of units within the same fund. A separate standard transfer form is required to transfer your holding for each registered holding.  

Please seek financial advice. 

The standard transfer form can be found on our Documents & Forms page. 

Please note that when a transfer takes place, our registry treats this as a new holding, even if it is a simple name change with the same trustees or company directors. Therefore all banking details, tax file numbers, Australian business numbers (ABNs) and adviser details will need to be provided on the new transfer form.

How do I notify Charter Hall of my tax file number (TFN)?

If you do not provide your tax file number on your original application form, you can provide it at any time in the future. Please note it is not compulsory to quote your TFN, however withholding tax will be taken from any payments from Investors who elect not to provide their TFN. These investors will then be required to claim the withholding tax through their annual tax return. The tax file number form can be found on the Documents & Forms page.

What is a certified document and who can certify a document?

If you are required to submit a certified copy of any original document, an authorised person needs to certify that the copy is a true copy of the original. A document can be certified by one of the following persons:

  • a person who is currently licensed or registered under a law to practise in one of the following occupations:
    • medical practitioner; 
    • nurse;
    • dentist;
    • physiotherapist;
    • chiropractor;
    • pharmacist;
    • optometrist; or
    • veterinary surgeon;
  • a person who is enrolled on the roll of the Supreme Court of a state or territory, or the High Court of Australia, as a legal practitioner; or
  • a person on the following list:
    • an Australian Postal Corporation permanent employee or agent (who is currently employed and has two or more years of continuous service or is in charge of supplying postal services to the public);
    • an officer with, or an authorised representative of, a holder of an AFSL, with two or more continuous years of service with one or more licensees;
    • a teacher employed on a full-time basis at a school or tertiary education institution;
    • a minister of religion (under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth));
    • a marriage celebrant (registered under Subdivision C of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth));
    • a bank, building society, finance company or credit union officer, with two or more continuous years of service;
    • a Justice of the Peace;
    • a police officer or sheriff; 
    • a notary public;
    • a member of Governance Institute of Australia;
    • a member of the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, CPA Australia and the Institute of Public Accountants;
    • a member of the Association of Taxation and Management Accountants or fellow of The National Tax and Accountants’ Association;
    • a member of Engineers Australia (other than the grade of student);
    • a member of The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy;
    • a member of the Australian Defence Force (who is an officer or non-commissioned officer within the meaning of the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 (Cth), with two or more years of continuous service or a Warrant Officer within the meaning of the Act);
    • a member of the Commonwealth parliament, a state parliament, a territory legislature or a local government authority (state or territory);
    • a permanent employee of the Commonwealth (or Commonwealth authority) or a state or territory (or a state or territory authority) or a local government authority, with two or more years of continuous service;
    • a person before whom a statutory declaration may be made under the law of the state or territory in which the declaration is made;
    • an Australian Consular Officer or Australian Diplomatic Officer (within the meaning of the Consular Fees Act 1955 (Cth));
    • a court officer, registrar or deputy registrar of a court; or
    • a judge, clerk, magistrate, master of a court or chief executive officer of a Commonwealth court.

What must the certifier do? 

The certifier must confirm the copy is certified as a true copy of the original documentation and clearly state their name, category and date of certification. An example of appropriate certification wording is:

“I certify this (and the following pages each of which I have signed/initialled) to be a true copy of the document shown and reported to me as the original.”

Please note certification is only accepted if within two years of the date of certification.

What is the fee paid to my adviser?

If you have appointed an adviser on the application form or by using the adviser appointment form, your investment may be subject to an adviser professional fee for service as mutually agreed and instructed to us on the form. The fee can be a percentage of the application amount or a dollar value. If no adviser is appointed there will be no fee deducted. Please contact your adviser for more details or our registry on 1300 137 895.

What are the tax consequences of withdrawing money from the fund?

Individual taxation outcomes as a result of a withdrawal will depend on a number of factors including, but not limited to, exit price, length of investment, and the structure of the investing entity.

Charter Hall is unable to provide taxation advice. We recommend that investors seek taxation advice regarding any withdrawal proceeds.

Does the Responsible Entity comply with the new dispute resolution requirements?

Charter Hall Direct Property Management Limited (Issuer) confirms it has a legally compliant dispute resolution system that is, and will continue to be, available to retail clients who invest in the Issuer’s products via Investor Directed Portfolio Service (IDPS) or IDPS-like platforms, as if the investor was a direct investor. We confirm this includes a compliant internal dispute resolution procedure and membership of one or more dispute resolution schemes.

What is a real estate investment trust (REIT)?

A real estate investment trust, commonly referred to as a REIT, is an investment vehicle which pools the money of many investors, so that they may share in the returns of a portfolio of property investments.

Charter Hall Group is an Australian REIT (A-REIT). 

What is a stapled security?

A security that comprises a unit in a trust and a share in a company, linked together so that one cannot be transferred or otherwise dealt without the other. In the case of listed securities, they are jointly quoted on the ASX as stapled securities. Charter Hall investors hold one Charter Hall Property Trust unit and one Charter Hall Limited share ‘stapled’ together and jointly quoted on the ASX under the code ‘CHC’.

How do I invest in Charter Hall Group?

Charter Hall Group is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) under the code ‘CHC’. You can buy a security just like you would buy shares - through your adviser, stockbroker or an online broker. If you do not already have a broker you can call the ASX Broker Referral Service on 1300 300 279 or go to the ASX website.

What is my investment worth?

As the securities of Charter Hall Group are listed on the ASX, their value can change throughout the day. 

To calculate the value of your investment, simply multiply the number of securities you hold by the current security price. 

The number of securities you hold can be found on your latest distribution advice, CHESS statement, or via contacting the Registry.

The current security price is available on this page or the ASX website.

How do I find out the security price of Charter Hall Group?

Our security price can be found on our Investor centre page or the ASX website.

What is the difference between a dividend and a distribution?

Dividends are paid to shareholders by companies out of their profits.

Distributions are paid to investors by trusts, such as the Charter Hall Group. Distributions are usually made up of income - for example, rental income - and may also include a capital payment to investors - for example, if a property was sold.

As a stapled security, CHC’s distribution consists of both a dividend from the Charter Hall Limited and a distribution from Charter Hall Property Trust.

When and how are distributions paid?

Charter Hall Group make payments to securityholders twice a year in February and August. 

Securityholders can receive their distributions by direct credit into a nominated bank account or can elect to reinvest their income through the Distribution Reinvestment Plan.

Can I reinvest my distribution?

The Distribution Reinvestment Plan (DRP) allows you to have your distributions reinvested in additional securities in Charter Hall Group without the need to pay brokerage, rather than having your distributions paid to you.

The DRP is currently inactive. If you have previously elected to participate in the DRP, your election will be automatically reinstated if the DRP is reactivated. If you have not elected to participate in the DRP or you would like to vary your participation, you can change your election online using the Investor Login facility, or you need to complete a DRP Application or Variation Form available from the Registry.

Do I need to provide my tax file number?

You are not required by law to provide  your tax file number (TFN) or exemption. However, if you do not provide your TFN or exemption, withholding tax at the highest marginal rate may be deducted from your distributions. If you have not provided your TFN or exemption and wish to do so, please contact the Registry, your broker, or use Investor Login to download the TFN form.

When will I receive the annual tax statement?

Our year-end for tax purposes is 30 June, at which time the components of the distribution are determined. The annual tax statement is mailed in August to all securityholders who received a distribution during that tax year. The statement includes information you require to maintain your taxation records such as your total annual distribution and taxation components.

To view and download your tax statement or obtain a replacement copy, use Investor Login. You will need your SRN or HIN along with your surname and postcode to log in.

If I sell my stapled securities, how do I calculate my capital gains tax?

Our stapled securities are comprised of two separate assets for capital gains tax purposes (one Charter Hall Limited share and one Charter Hall Property Trust unit). 

For capital gains tax purposes, you need to apportion the cost of each stapled security and the proceeds upon sale over the separate assets that make up the stapled security. This apportionment should be done on a reasonable basis. One possible method of apportionment is on the basis of the relative net tangible assets of the individual entities which is provided on this page under Taxation Information.

How can I choose to receive investor communications electronically?

You can elect to receive all communications electronically, including your distribution advice, notices of meeting, proxy forms, annual reports and annual taxation statements.

The benefit of this is you have access to information you need in an efficient and cost-effective manner that has minimal environmental impact.

Security and privacy of your details are important, so you will always be emailed a link to a secured, encrypted website rather than receiving any attached documents via email. If you wish to elect electronic communications simply sign in to Investor Login or contact the Registry directly for a form to complete.

How do I update my investment details such as my address or bank details?

How you update your address details depends on your individual circumstances. If you have a CHESS-sponsored holding (prefixed with an 'X') you must change your address through your broker. If you have an issuer sponsored holding (prefixed with an 'I') then you can update your address details by using Investor Login

To change previously advised account details, or request to receive distribution payments by direct credit into your bank account, you must provide written advice to the Registry.

Link Market Services
Unit Registry
Locked Bag A14
Sydney South NSW 1235

Telephone (local call cost): 1300 303 063
Telephone (outside Australia): +61 1300 303 063

How do I contact the Registry?

You can contact Charter Hall Group’s Registry using the following information.

Link Market Services
Unit Registry
Locked Bag A14
Sydney South NSW 1235

Telephone (toll free within Australia): 1300 303 063
Telephone (outside Australia): +61 1300 303 063
Fax: +61 2 8280 7134

How do I contact the manager?

The manager of Charter Hall Group is Charter Hall Funds Management Limited, and you can contact them using the following information.

Charter Hall Funds Management Limited
GPO Box 2704
Sydney NSW 2001

Telephone: 1300 365 585 (local call cost)
Fax: +61 2 8908 4090

How do I make a complaint?

Any securityholder wishing to lodge a complaint should refer to our Complaints Guide for relevant contact details.